The ultimate comfort food.
· 6 ounces egg noodles of choice
· 1 tbsp butter
· 1 medium onion, minced fine
· 3 tbsp flour, or gluten free flour
· 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
· 1 cup milk
· 1 ounce sherry, optional
· 10 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
· 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
· 2 5-oz cans tuna in water, drained or shredded chicken
· 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
· 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
· 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
· Cook noodles in salted water until al dente, or slightly undercooked by 2 minutes. Set aside.
· Melt the butter in a large deep skillet. Add onions and cook on medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
· Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat
· Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray 9 x 12 casserole with butter flavored cooking spray.
· Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined, increasing heat to medium and whisking well for 30 seconds, then add the milk and bring to a boil.
· When boiling, add sherry, mushrooms and petite peas, adjust salt and pepper to taste and simmer on medium, mixing occasionally until it thickens (about 7 to 9 minutes).
· Add drained tuna or chicken, stirring another minute.
· Remove from heat and add the cheddar and mix well until it melts. Add the noodles to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated.
· Pour into casserole and sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray and top and bake for about 25 minutes.
· Place under the broiler a few minutes to get the crumbs crisp (careful not to burn).